We are pleased to announce our annual call for photo stories for the Europe-wide project FOCUS: Philanthropy
We invite European foundations, national associations as well as NGOs and people who have been supported by a foundation to submit a photo story and to showcase the diversity of European philanthropy and the everyday work of foundations. Help us show the human face of philanthropy and how it contributes – from Portugal to Russia, from Norway to Turkey – to the well-being of citizens and the public good.
Deadline for submissions is 31 May 2020.
Alliance Magazine is a partner of the FOCUS: Philanthropy project.
What is FOCUS: Philanthropy?
FOCUS: Philanthropy is a photo contest initiated by the Russian Donors Forum in 2012 aimed at disseminating knowledge about philanthropy and building trust towards donors and foundations. Building on its positive experience, DAFNE – Donors and Foundations Networks in Europe, is expanding this contest to the European level by inviting national associations and foundations to participate in the photo project.
The best photo stories will be selected by a professional jury and announced on 1 October, the European Day of Donors and Foundations.
Who can apply?
Foundations and national associations or NGOs and people who were supported by a foundation.
The source of the photo might be a national association, a foundation or a person/group of persons/institution supported by a foundation. The photo and its accompanying story should be related to philanthropy and its contribution to public good.
How to apply?
- Select a photo and clarify the copyrights
- Write a compelling story of 130 words
- Submit the application by 31 May 2020, either to your national association listed below or (if your country is not represented) by using this form.
Which national associations can I contact?
- AUSTRIA | Austrian Foundations Association
- Ruth Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org
- BELGIUM | Belgian Federation of Philanthropic Foundations
- Soraya Belghazi, email@example.com
- CROATIA | Croatian Foundations Forum
- Cvjetana Plavsa-Matic, firstname.lastname@example.org
- FINLAND | Council of Finnish Foundations
- Virve Zenker, email@example.com
- GERMANY | Association of German Foundations
- Mira Nagel, firstname.lastname@example.org
- IRELAND | Philanthropy Ireland
- Niamh Maguire, email@example.com
- ITALY | Assifero
- Francesca Mereta, firstname.lastname@example.org
- NETHERLANDS | Association of Foundations in the Netherlands
- Siep Wijsenbeek, email@example.com
- PORTUGAL | Portuguese Foundation Centre
- Mário Curveira Santos, firstname.lastname@example.org
- RUSSIA | Russian Donors Forum
- Alina Shenfeldt, email@example.com
- SLOVAKIA | Center for Philanthropy
- Natalia Blahova, firstname.lastname@example.org
- SERBIA | Serbian Philanthropic Forum
- Jelena Bratic, email@example.com
- SWITZERLAND | SwissFoundations
- Jasmin Guggisberg, firstname.lastname@example.org
- UK | Association of Charitable Foundations
- Emma Hutchins, email@example.com
Photo – A photo should be emotional and evocative incentivising. It should be about philanthropy in the most general sense: how it makes the world a better place, how it saves/cures/empathises. It can show a project, its beneficiaries or its volunteers.
- The size of the photo should be no less than 3,000 pixels on one of the sides (either horizontal or vertical);
- The format of the photo – raw, tiff, jpeg;
- Editing that is allowed: cropping, colour balance, exposure, contrast. Any other computer editing is not allowed;
- Photos with digital watermarking are not allowed.
Story – The story behind the photo should convey a powerful message; it should not be a simple description of the photo, but instead give a wider context of the cause or problem, which is being addressed by philanthropy.The story should not exceed 130 words;
Title – The title should be catchy and emotive as well.
Rights and Ownership
Any image used by DAFNE and its members shall carry a credit line of the artist. Copyright and all other rights remain that of the artist.
By submitting a photo and an accompanying story to DAFNE, you agree to grant DAFNE and its members a free of charge, world-wide, perpetual, non-exclusive licence to publicly display, distribute, reproduce, translate and create derivative works of the submitted photos and stories, in whole or in part, in any print or digital media, for any purpose, including but not limited to, marketing and promotion of philanthropy.
Photos that violate or infringe upon another person’s rights, including but not limited to copyright, are not eligible.
Photos that contain sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other objectionable or inappropriate content are not eligible for FOCUS: Philanthropy project.
Data Collection and Privacy
DAFNE is committed to processing personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The personal data collected through photo submission will be held securely and will only be used for administrative purposes. Please find more information on the data policy and contact details of DAFNE data controller here: https://dafne-online.eu/data-policy/
DAFNE – Donors and Foundations Networks in Europe:
Senior Manager | Strategic Partnerships and Communications
29.04.2020 • FOCUS: PhilanthropyRead more
Learn more about the FOCUS: Philanthropy project
29.04.2020 • FOCUS: PhilanthropyRead more
Need an example of a photo submission and what the design will look like? See some photos from last year’s project.
01.10.2019 • FOCUS: PhilanthropyRead more
‘I don’t look like most Slovak women, but my otherness is not essential. What is important is what kind of human being I am,’ reads a story shown at the festival FJUZN in Bratislava organised by the Milan Simecka Foundation in September 2019. Although not considered as diverse, Slovakia is home to people with many nationalities and…