Learn more about the FOCUS: Philanthropy project
Q: What is FOCUS: Philanthropy?
FOCUS: Philanthropy is a photo contest initiated by the Russian Donors Forum in 2012 aimed at disseminating knowledge about philanthropy and building trust towards donors and foundations. Building on its positive experience, DAFNE – Donors and Foundations Networks in Europe, is expanding this contest to the European level by inviting national associations and foundations to participate in the photo project.
Q: Who is eligible to enter?
Photo stories should come from foundations and national associations or NGOs and people who are supported by a foundation.
Q: How can I submit my photo story?
If you are represented by a national association listed below, it is best to get in touch with them directly. If not, you are welcome to submit your photo story to us by filling out this form.
- AUSTRIA | Austrian Foundations Association
- Ruth Williams, email@example.com
- BELGIUM | Belgian Federation of Philanthropic Foundations
- Soraya Belghazi, firstname.lastname@example.org
- CROATIA | Croatian Foundations Forum
- Cvjetana Plavsa-Matic, email@example.com
- FINLAND | Council of Finnish Foundations
- Virve Zenker, firstname.lastname@example.org
- GERMANY | Association of German Foundations
- Mira Nagel, email@example.com
- IRELAND | Philanthropy Ireland
- Niamh Maguire, firstname.lastname@example.org
- ITALY | Assifero
- Francesca Mereta, email@example.com
- NETHERLANDS | Association of Foundations in the Netherlands
- Siep Wijsenbeek, firstname.lastname@example.org
- PORTUGAL | Portuguese Foundation Centre
- Mário Curveira Santos, email@example.com
- RUSSIA | Russian Donors Forum
- Alina Shenfeldt, firstname.lastname@example.org
- SLOVAKIA | Center for Philanthropy
- Natalia Blahova, email@example.com
- SERBIA | Serbian Philanthropic Forum
- Jelena Bratic, firstname.lastname@example.org
- SWITZERLAND | SwissFoundations
- Jasmin Guggisberg, email@example.com
- UK | Association of Charitable Foundations
- Emma Hutchins, firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: What are you looking for?
The photo and its accompanying story should be related to philanthropy and its contribution to public good in a general sense. It can show an activity, a project, its beneficiaries or volunteers.
The photo story should be linked to this year’s #HoldingTogether theme, though this can either directly respond to the coronavirus crisis or more generally communicate and reinforce the idea of solidarity in Europe.
Photo stories should be emotive and convey a powerful message. The accompanying story should not be a simple description of the photo, but instead give a wider context of the cause or problem, which is being addressed by philanthropy. The story should not exceed 130 words.
Try find a catchy and emotive title too!
Q: Specifications for photo submissions
- The size of the photo should be no less than 3,000 pixels on one of the sides (either horizontal or vertical);
- The format of the photo – raw, tiff, jpeg;
- Editing that is allowed: cropping, colour balance, exposure, contrast. Any other computer editing is not allowed;
- Photos with digital watermarking are not allowed.
Q: When will the contest close?
The contest will be closed on the 31 May 2020 deadline.
Q: How many photo stories can I submit?
Each foundation or NGO supported by a foundation can enter up to three photo stories.
Q: When will winners of the contest be announced?
1st October 2020, European Day of Foundations and Donors.
Q: How are winning photos selected?
With the help of a professional jury consisting of journalists, photographers and foundation representatives, we will select at least one photo story submission per country, as well as the top three most inspiring photo stories. Selected photo stories will be announced on 1st October at the European Day of Foundations and Donors.
Q: What happens if my photo story is selected?
Once selected photo stories have been announced, the winners will be displayed by various European media and their stories shared with an international audience. This will raise awareness of the issue, cause, or project captured by the photo story, and bring it to the attention of policymakers, businesses and other civil society organisations. The contest winners will be engaged as ambassadors promoting the idea of European solidarity, inspiring others with their work.
Q: Rights and ownership
Any image used by DAFNE and its members shall carry a credit line of the artist. Copyright and all other rights remain that of the artist.
By submitting a photo and an accompanying story to DAFNE, you agree to grant DAFNE and its members a free of charge, world-wide, perpetual, non-exclusive licence to publicly display, distribute, reproduce, translate and create derivative works of the submitted photos and stories, in whole or in part, in any print or digital media, for any purpose, including but not limited to, marketing and promotion of philanthropy.
Photos that violate or infringe upon another person’s rights, including but not limited to copyright, are not eligible.
Photos that contain sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other objectionable or inappropriate content are not eligible for FOCUS: Philanthropy project.
Q: Data collection and privacy
DAFNE is committed to processing personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The personal data collected through photo submission will be held securely and will only be used for administrative purposes. Please find more information on the data policy and contact details of DAFNE data controller here: https://dafne-online.eu/data-policy/
Q: More questions? Get in touch!
Dr. Hanna Stähle
Senior Manager | Strategic Partnerships and Communications
Alliance Magazine is a partner of the FOCUS: Philanthropy project.
29.04.2020 • FOCUS: PhilanthropyRead more
We are pleased to announce our annual call for photo stories for the Europe-wide project FOCUS: Philanthropy We invite European foundations, national associations as well as NGOs and people who have been supported by a foundation to submit a photo story and to showcase the diversity of European philanthropy and the everyday work of foundations.…
29.04.2020 • FOCUS: PhilanthropyRead more
Need an example of a photo submission and what the design will look like? See some photos from last year’s project.
01.10.2019 • FOCUS: PhilanthropyRead more
‘I don’t look like most Slovak women, but my otherness is not essential. What is important is what kind of human being I am,’ reads a story shown at the festival FJUZN in Bratislava organised by the Milan Simecka Foundation in September 2019. Although not considered as diverse, Slovakia is home to people with many nationalities and…