PEX is where the European philanthropy infrastructure meets. PEXcommunity was jointly co-created at the PEXforum 2020 in Madrid, the first Europe-wide event bringing together leaders and experts from national, regional and European philanthropy support organisations.
Click on the image to discover the PEXforum 2021 multimedia page.
Join the conversation on LinkedIn!
Here you can get in touch with the wider PEXcommunity, make announcements and exchange ideas.
Challenges and opportunities for philanthropy in Europe are tremendous, with significant potential implications on the future of private funding for public good.
In Europe philanthropy is impactful, diverse, complementary, innovative, conditioned by differences in history and culture, and still full of untapped potential.
PEX provides a unique space to create a European philanthropy identity as a common ground to jointly advance the philanthropy ecosystem in a changing world.
PEX publications not to miss:
What do we want to achieve?
- Identify ecosystem challenges and find ways how to overcome them
- Strengthen the role of national, European and international philanthropy networks as enablers, incubators and developers of more informed, connected and effective individual foundations.
- Encourage leadership and collaboration to leverage the potential of philanthropy across the continent.
- Build the network of philanthropy networks across Europe.
Collaboration requires trusted relationships, and this is why these moments of togetherness are the fundamental basis for jointly moving the needle when it comes to activities supporting philanthropy across Europe. Consequently, the annual event “PEXforum” was born out of the need to bring leaders and experts from national, regional and thematic philanthropy support organisations together.
As the first Europe-wide event, the first PEXforum “PEXforum 2020” was held on 23-24 January 2020 in Madrid, Spain. 124 people left Spain empowered by the experience of having been part of building a new peer community that has so much to offer for each and everyone involved in the European philanthropy infrastructure. They collectively identified challenges and opportunities for the sector, shared best practices and insights, explored concrete projects and invited others to collaborate.
The fruitful discussions at the PEXforum 2020 resulted in the co-creation of 7 PEXprojects, addressing key challenges for European philanthropy. Colleagues from national, regional and thematic philanthropy support organisations meet regularly to work collectively towards each project’s objective.
The Philanthropy Coalition for Climate brings together national, European and thematic philanthropy networks committed to support their foundation members to live up to the climate challenge. Find out more here.
Next Philanthropy provides an inclusive space for a meaningful conversation on what’s next for philanthropy in Europe. Find out more here.
Philanthropy.Insight provides a self-assessment framework for foundations around five criteria: commitment, public utility, relevance, performance and accountability. This forms a crucial element in addressing the legitimacy question philanthropy is exposed to regulary.
Gender Equity and Justice aims to frame the debate on gender and diversity with the aim to contribute to a gender-balanced and more diverse sector in Europe. Find out more here.
Data Insight is about closing today’s gap of European philanthropy data and insights. The aim is to help better decision making and scenario planning for our sector, our partners as well as the regulator.
Racial Equity is focusing on the roots of racial injustice in Europe, and considering both programmatic and internal implications for philanthropy.
As part of these projects, we have developed a series of knowledge hubs in order to gather information in an open source, living document relevant to philanthropy support organisations in Europe. Our aim is to facilitate communication, information-sharing and collective thought in order to maximise the impact we can have as a sector.
Click on the icons to discover our knowledge hubs.
How to stay tuned – subscribe to PEXnews.
In cooperation with Alliance, we publish a monthly newsletter – PEXnews. that reflects on trends and developments in the European philanthropy ecosystem and provides the latest news from the philanthropy field.
You can subscribe to PEXnews here.
If you want to read the issues you have missed, please find them below:
- 21.01.2020 “Recovery vs the continued battle for civic space”
- 17.12.2020 “Empowering an independent and courageous philanthropic sector”
- 26.11.2020 “Why philanthropy has a crucial role to foster unity in times of turmoil”
- 22.10.2020 “Learning from the past”
- 24.09.2020 “The Sound of Europe”
- 19.08.2020 “We face a leadership challenge like no other”
- 22.07.2020 “Racial justice – can philanthropy critique its own reality?”
- 18.06.2020 “Because together we can achieve more”
- 20.05.2020 “Uniting the social ecosystem in Europe”
- 15.04.2020 “A moment to recommit to our core values”
- 18.03.2020 “Embracing complexity: Together we can”
Previously, Dafne published Philanthropy Europe newsletter. Please find all the editions below:
- 31.01.2020 “World-defining decade”
- 16.12.2019 “Quo vadis, Europe?”
- 27.11.2019 “Leading European philanthropy to new partnerships”
- 30.10.2019 “Responding to Change”
- 25.09.2019 “European Day of Foundations and Donors”
- 27.06.2019 “Influence cannot be taken – It must be earned”
- 29.05.2019 “Applying insight with foresight”
- 30.04.2019 “Philanthropy at the crossroads?“
- 26.03.2019 “Everybody can be a changemaker“
Want to learn and network?
Find here all relevant philanthropy events in Europe: European Philanthropy Calendar, co-created by Ariadne, Civitates, Dafne, ECFI, EDGE Funders Alliance, EPIM and NEF.